Constantly applying anti-aging creams but seeing no results? Try rebooting your diet instead.
When we eat foods high in nutrients, our entire body benefits—skin included. Fish, fruits and a popular dessert item are among the top fare for keeping your skin healthy and radiant.
To maintain a healthy glow, try adding these items to your summer menu:
- Dark chocolate—Rich in antioxidants, dark chocolate can help your body fight free radicals, which can make the skin look dull. Choose bars of chocolate in the purest form, made of at least 60 to 70 percent cocoa.
- Fish—A major source of omega-3 fatty acids, fish can help preserve collagen in the skin and make it look firmer. Good options to add to your plate include tuna, lake trout, mackerel and salmon.
- Walnuts—If you’re not a fish fan, walnuts are a good alternative for boosting your omega-3s. Plus, walnuts are packed with antioxidants. Try sprinkling them over salad or enjoying a handful for an afternoon snack.
- Fresh fruit—Eating almost any type of fruit can benefit your skin. For example, tomatoes are filled with an antioxidant called lycopene, which may improve the smoothness of skin, while citrus fruits like lemons and oranges contain lots of vitamins C and E to combat wrinkles.
- Spinach—Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, spinach also contains lots of vitamin A, which may help your skin retain moisture while also battling acne and wrinkles.
Head to your favorite farmers market to stock up on the freshest skin-boosting foods and prepare for a glowing summer.