Hip replacement surgery in Chattanooga
Chronic hip pain can keep you from living an active life. Pain in the hip is often caused by arthritis, when wear and tear to the soft cartilage in the hip causes the bones to rub together, resulting in stiffness and discomfort as well as limiting the range of motion in the hip area.
At Parkridge Medical Group, we always aim to address conditions with conservative treatment measures like lifestyle changes, physical therapy or walking supports. However, if your hip joint is severely damaged, a hip replacement can relieve your pain and allow you move around freely again.
To see if hip surgery is right for you, schedule an appointment with a hip surgeon.
What is a total hip replacement?
Our specialized joint care for arthritis treatment involves joint replacement surgery or arthroplasty. In a total hip replacement, your orthopedic surgeon removes the damaged bone and cartilage and replaces it with a sturdy implant, usually made of metal. The ball and socket of the implant mimic the natural motion of your joint. This creates a smoothly functioning ball-and-socket joint that does not cause pain.
What causes hip pain?
Hip replacement surgery may be a good option for you if you suffer chronic pain from the following conditions:
- Arthritis and joint pain (inflammation of the ball-and-socket joint and wearing away of cartilage)
- Bursitis (inflammation of the pads that cushion the joints)
- Damage to cartilage (the connective tissue that serves as padding between the bones) and ligaments (the band of tissue that connects bones)
- Dislocated hip (the ball of the hip is forced out of the socket that makes up the ball-and-socket joint)
- Hip fracture
- Osteoporosis (a condition that causes bones to become brittle and fragile)
- Snapping hip (a condition in which a snapping sensation is felt when the hip is flexed and extended)
- Soft tissue and referred pain (pain felt at a location other than where it is caused)
- Tendinopathy (damage of the cord attaching muscle to bone)
- Tendonitis (inflammation of the cord attaching muscle to bone)
How do you know if you need a hip replacement?
If you've exhausted all of the conservative nonsurgical methods of treatment like walking with a cane or walker, losing weight, taking medication or doing physical therapy, and you still have no relief, you could be a good candidate for hip replacement surgery. Our doctors will provide you with all of the information you need to make the right decision for you.
Typically, total hip replacement is recommended if you experience any of the following:
- You have severe pain that does not let up with medication or physical therapy
- You stop doing your favorite activities because of hip pain
- Your hip is so stiff, you can’t move or lift your leg
Benefits of hip replacement surgery
Your new hip will fit together perfectly and relieve pain from worn-down joints. After hip surgery, patients report a dramatic difference in pain and joint function. There's also less of a change of a hip dislocation, better range of mobility and shorter hospital stays.
At Parkridge Medical Group, our dedicated care team offers solutions for your hip issues. Whether you suffer from arthritis or injury, we are equipped to treat damaged, deformed or injured hip bones. We can quickly diagnose your joint pain and create a treatment plan for your unique needs, ultimately helping you get back to a normal lifestyle.
Hip replacement locations
Retrieving location data...